October 19, 2017
1. We are now beginning to hear Jack's side of the story. The introduction to this section is a quotation from a book, "Le Petit Prince (The Little
Prince), by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
"Now here is my secret. It is very simple. It is only with one's heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
2. Written response: What is your interpretation of this quotation, what does it mean to you?
3. Continue reading, pp. 98-101 (up to "Why I changed my mind")
4. Written response: What have we learned about the circumstances surrounding Jack Will becoming a "Welcome Buddy" for Auggie? Discuss
how Jack feels when he hears what this means and who he will be welcoming. Do you think this is related to what happened at school during
Halloween? Explain your thinking.
5. Watch this interview with author R.J. Palacio. She discusses how she came to write the book "Wonder" and her feelings about the topic and
6. Have you ever had an experience that meant as much to you, or changed your thinking, as the "ice cream experience" did to R.J. Palacio?
Explain your thinking.
7. Do you think the section entitled "Carvel" adequately describes the real experience that R.J. Palacio had with her own children? Explain your
October 20, 2017
Please finish up all of your assignments and hand them in. If there is time afterwards, you may have "Board Game Friday"!
I will see all of you on Monday! :-)
October 18, 2017
Please do all writing assignments on paper.
1. Continue reading, (section 3, "Summer") pp. 90-97
2. Make a prediction: Auggie tells Summer something and makes her "pinky swear" not to tell
anybody. What is it that Auggie has just confided in Summer? Why does he want this kept
secret? Do you think this will be an easy thing for Summer to do? Do you think she will be able
to keep this promise?
Hoang: Please work on these units-Ancient Rome, Ancient China
Amulanga: Please continue writing your original "Wonder" sequel